21 May 2012

Middle Of The Road - The Polo Shirt


Polo shirts are one of those items that split opinions of many stylish folk. Some think they have no place in a well put together wardrobe, whilst some believe them to be necessary. I, for one, think they're great; a stylish man's alternative to a t-shirt, if you will. You can't go wrong with a well fitting polo shirt.






Now, I wouldn't go about saying that a polo's place is in the office or any sort of formal setting. It's very difficult to pull off in that way. After all they were primarily made for sports, hence the name... However, they can contribute to a very well put together look in a casual setting.



The fit of a polo, as with all other clothes, is very important. You want it to fit comfortably, without being tight in the torso. Sleeves should completely cover your deltoids and stop around the midpoint of the biceps. I also believe that they should always be tucked in, but that's your call... and please don't pop the collar, it's not '04 anymore.


Here I'm wearing a button-down collar version. Since I wear OCBDs the majority of the time, whenever I wanted to change it up a bit and wear a polo, the collar seemed very underwhelming, lying flat as opposed to the tall-standing nature of a button down, plus I hate wearing all the buttons done up. I've pretty much decided to exclusively wear button down collars nowadays, (at least when I'm not wearing a tie) - they just frame your face so much better. 


Details:

Polo Shirt: Uniqlo

Jeans: Uniqlo Japanese Raw Selvedge

Shoes: Sebago Loafers

Watch: Timex w/ NATO strap

1 comment:

  1. the polo style does suit you, it looks smart and not scruffy like a lot of them. the button down collar and fabric does help doesn't it. i myself can not wear them, just doesn't suit me

    ReplyDelete